Heaters - (heaters can be portable or space heaters run by electricity, gas or kerosene.)
- Keep all heaters at least 36 inches from anything that can burn (furniture, bedding, clothing, pets and people).
- Don't operate a space heater when you are not in the room or when you are sleeping.
- Do not place anything over the heater to dry.
- Check for fraying or splitting wires or overheating on electric space heaters. Have a professional make any repairs.
- Never use gasoline or other substitute fuels in a kerosene heater.
- Turn off and cool down the heater before adding fuel, and wipe up any fuel that is spilled.