This morning, the Clinton Heights FD was requested mutual aid to a structure fire in Defreestville FD’s district. A/C Bestler directed our personnel and on arrival, the crew from Engine Co. 8-1 was put to work ventilating the roof. Additionally, the crews from Squad 8 and Engine Co. 8-1 performed overhaul tasks when the fire was knocked down. Truck 8 was responded as well with additional manpower.
Most importantly, all members returned safely.
Everyone Goes Home!
Today our members gathered to pay respect and honor those who gave their lives helping others on September 11, 2001. The annual ceremony was hosted by the Melvin Roads American Legion Post. Several local dignitaries addressed the attendees, including Town Supervisor Jack Conway and County Executive Kathy Jimino. We take a moment to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice on September 11th as well as those who have passed away in the years since 2001. We continue to pray for those suffering from 9/11 related illnesses.
We are thankful to be a part of such an important occasion. Our members are proud to serve as firefighters in our community.
Sixteen years later… Gone but never forgotten!
On a beautiful Friday morning, members of the Clinton Heights Fire Department assisted with the Character Education Walk at our community’s elementary school. This was the 3rd annual walk for the Red Mill School. Throughout the year, the students learn about good character traits and the walk is a culmination of these lessons and a fund raiser for a chosen charity. The fire department leads the entire school group through Hampton Manor and around the lake. When the group returns to school grounds, they were greeted by Truck 8 flying the American Flag.
We are honored to participate in this very worthwhile event.
In the evening hours of Saturday April 22, the Clinton Heights Fire Department was dispatched to a potential hazardous materials incident. The resident of the home inadvertently mixed two different drain cleaning chemicals in an effort to unclog a kitchen sink drain. The resulting chemical reaction produced chlorine gas, a very hazardous chemical. This caused the homeowner to experience respiratory distress and was subsequently transported to the hospital for evaluation and treatment.
Under the command of Assistant Chief Racine, the scene was assessed by CHFD members and a determination was made to call the Rensselaer County Hazardous Materials Team. Members of the City of Troy FD and county HAZMAT coordinators responded. The hazardous condition was mitigated and the home was ventilated, restoring the home to a safe condition.
Residents are reminded to not mix different types of drain cleaners as the results can be incredibly hazardous. If you have questions regarding compatibility of these chemicals, contact the manufacturers of the chemicals for guidance.