Here are some important things to do to make your holiday decorating safe:
- When buying a live Christmas tree, choose a fresh tree, and water it daily.
- Purchase only fire-retardant artificial trees.
- Use a stand designed not to tip over.
- Place the tree in a safe location away from heat sources and exits.
- Decorate with lights that bear the mark of a testing laboratory.
- Always unplug lights at bedtime and before you leave your home.
- Don't overload electrical outlets.
Cut your own tree, or buy a fresh one that's not shedding its needles. Cut the trunk at an angle and install the tree in a large, deep non-tip stand well away from fireplaces, exits and heat sources. Be sure your tree has a constant supply of water - check the level daily. If your tree dries out, remove it promptly and store it away from your home until you can dispose of it. If you use an artificial tree, be sure it's flame-retardant.