Holidays and candles go together. They symbolize joy, warmth, security and light. If you use candles or other open flame in your household decorations, remember these safety tips...
- Keep flames well away from anything that will burn - upholstered furniture, curtains, lampshades, and flammable holiday decorations.
- Never leave a flame unattended, even for a moment.
- Keep children and pets away from all fire.
- If a candle is used in a jock-o-lantern, be sure to use a new, moist pumpkin for carving and if using arrangement with greens; be sure it is in a stable glass enclosure. Keep the greenery moist and discard as soon as it begins to dry.
- Put candles securely in non-tip candle holders.
- Never put candles in windows or near exits.
- Don't leave candles burning unattended or within the reach of small children, and blow them out before you leave the room or go to sleep.