In the evening hours of Saturday April 22, the Clinton Heights Fire Department was dispatched to a potential hazardous materials incident. The resident of the home inadvertently mixed two different drain cleaning chemicals in an effort to unclog a kitchen sink drain. The resulting chemical reaction produced chlorine gas, a very hazardous chemical. This caused the homeowner to experience respiratory distress and was subsequently transported to the hospital for evaluation and treatment.
Under the command of Assistant Chief Racine, the scene was assessed by CHFD members and a determination was made to call the Rensselaer County Hazardous Materials Team. Members of the City of Troy FD and county HAZMAT coordinators responded. The hazardous condition was mitigated and the home was ventilated, restoring the home to a safe condition.
Residents are reminded to not mix different types of drain cleaners as the results can be incredibly hazardous. If you have questions regarding compatibility of these chemicals, contact the manufacturers of the chemicals for guidance.