Cooking equipment is the leading cause of apartment fires.
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- Keep stove top and oven clean and grease free.
- Remove all combustibles, like paper bags from the area around the stove.
Heating Equipment is the second leading cause of apartment fires.
- When using space or base board heaters provide at least a 36 inch clearance from combustibles.
- Chimneys and heating systems should be cleaned and serviced at least annually.
- Never use charcoal or unvented appliances like gas stoves to heat your apartment.
- Use sturdy non-tip ashtrays.
- Never smoke in bed or when you are tired.
- Charcoal briquettes can remain hot for several days. Cool with water and place in metal containers with a lid.
- Cool ashes and cigarette butts with water. Dispose in metal containers with lid.
Children + Matches = FIRE
- Unattended children can be fire setters. Report suspicious activity to the Police Department.
- Store matches and lighters out of sight and reach for children.
- Gasoline, paints, thinners, and other flammable liquids should never be stored indoors.
- Obtain Renters Insurance - apartment owners insurance rarely covers the contents of individual apartments.
- Gas grills on balconies cause deadly fires and generally are not allowed.
- Provide sturdy, deep, non-tip ash trays for your balcony.
- Purchase a Carbon Monoxide detector to protect you from this deadly odorless gas.